Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Saddle Up Again

It has been almost a year now since the passing of my beloved Lady. She was my first horse; my first real sense of owning something of great importance. We did everything together. Countless rides through the neighborhood with neighbors, several trail rides at near-by Farragut State park, and several Cowboy Mounted Shooting Competitions. We learned a lot together. She and I had a special bond that only horse owners could understand. Along with the joy rides there were also falls… and I must admit that there were a few… the worst physical fall I had, I wound up with a partially dislocated shoulder which tore up the cartilage pretty good, but no matter, I got up and rode again…

But by far, the worst fall of all, physically, emotionally, and mentally, was her death on February 22, 2010. That fall took me awhile to get up from… but I finally did. I have a new horse now, his name is Skeeter. I have to admit, the bond between the two of us isn’t that strong yet, partially, I think, because I haven’t been able to let go of Lady. I guess that’s just “The Guardian” in me… but that will be another post sometime soon.

With Lady, I learned how to ride, fall, get up and get back in the saddle…. Looking back on it now, I think she was preparing me for her death… metaphorically, we rode, she fell, and I was left to get back up and saddle up again…

One day soon we shall forever ride on the fertile fields of heaven.




2 comments: